Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Ripe Old Age of Fifteen

When I was fifteen I had my whole life figured out. My plans had been made, and I was sure nothing would go wrong with them. I was pretty certain I knew who I was as a person. I couldn't see how I would change in any way. Sometimes though, it seemed like I would never go on a date or have a boyfriend. At times, I thought when that happened I would always be happy and confident. I wanted so bad to be wanted. When I was fifteen, I couldn't wait to graduate. I wanted to leave. I wanted adventure. I wanted to be 'free'.
Now I'm seventeen. I'm getting ready to graduate, and that fact often terrifies me. My longing for adventure has greatly diminished. I've become a homebody. To say I've changed since fifteen could be an understatement. But I'm very happy with who I am. I have gone on those magical dates (often more awkward then magical), and they are now often occurrences in my life. However, I laugh at my mistaken view of what having a boyfriend would be like. Yes, it is wonderful, but that doesn't mean life is perfect. I still stress out, have mood swings, and bad days. They all add up to some interesting conversations with him at times.
Fifteen was a rough year, but one I'm thankful for. To all the girls who are going through that, I can assure you it will get better. There is a high chance it'll get worse before better, but it will happen. Just remember: the art of laughing at yourself is a great one, it's ok to become angry and upset sometimes, you're a wonderful, beautiful person, and there is a God who cares deeply for you. And don't forget to thank Him for the life you have right now, because it's all going to change at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment