Monday, February 6, 2012

Lilly the Duck

Before working at a local museum I did not realize it was possible for a duck to possess a stinkeye that rivals my own. It was there that I met Lilly. This snow white fowl is the terror of many other volunteers, and strives to make our lives as difficult as possible.
The first time I took care of the animals by myself I determined that I was not going to let a duck scare me. I mean it's a duck! How vicious can she be? I pulled on my fake confidence and began cleaning her pen. As a talked sweetly to her I hoped that the noises she was making back were happy. Unfortunately, the somewhat threatening tone and the way she was glaring made me fairly certain that they weren't. She intensely watched my every move, eagerly awaiting the moment my hand came into biting range and she could lunge for attack.
I spent as much time as possible cleaning the litter in the pen, dreading the next step. Changing the water in her tub. The only way to clean and refill her 'pond' is to empty it with a bucket, and then replace the water with a hose. Of course Lilly has to be removed before any of that can happen. Knowing that she was not going to be happy with me picking her up, (and somewhat fearful of what damage she might inflict), I instead gave cheerful hints concerning her waddling out of her pen. They all went like this, "Now Miss Lilly, don't you want to walk around the room some? I have a ramp set up for you, and all you have to do if walk a few feet." Miss Lilly did not want to walk around the room; at least not without making a fuss before hand.
Seeing that the bird was not going to move, I took a deep breath and grabbed her. The extent of her quacking and struggling was more appropriate for if she were headed to the dinner table than for a daily ritual. With her removed and possessing a few less feathers, and me feeling rather proud I provided her with a clean water.
Fortunately I'm beginning to gain knowledge of Lilly's ways, and am getting better at dodging her nips. Maybe someday we'll even get along. But I wouldn't count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment